Vaginal Rejuvenation procedures are designed with a woman’s confidence and sexual satisfaction in mind. The two primary procedures that can be performed either alone or in combination, are Labiaplasty and Vaginoplasty.
Vaginal rejuvenation surgery performed on the Labia Minora can be beneficial to a woman’s health. Commonly called Labiaplasty, or Labia Reduction, the procedure can build confidence and improve one’s sex life and overall self-image. The issues may be primarily cosmetic, or can be functional, with pain and discomfort caused by enlarged labia. For those women who are unhappy with the size and/or appearance of their Labia Minora, the topic can be one of sensitivity and shame. Having labia that are asymmetric is relatively common. Some women also have too much tissue covering their clitoris, which may be unsightly and/or may reduce sensitivity. It is not uncommon for women to be embarrassed by the appearance of their labia minora and often have no one to discuss the issue with. Women should know two things: 1) that problems in this region are not uncommon and 2) the issues can be corrected with a procedure that is safe, effective, and relatively quick. The size and shape of the Labia Minora can be improved to make them symmetrical and beautiful. In addition, the tissue covering the clitoris can be reduced and refined if desired. Symmetry and balance are important factors addressed in all forms of labia surgery. This procedure can have both functional and cosmetic benefits. Labiaplasty is a delicate procedure that can benefit a woman’s life forever.
Vaginoplasty is performed with the primary goal of increasing and/or restoring sexual satisfaction, for not only the woman but her partner as well. Whether it is due to one or multiple vaginal births, or the natural aging process, the muscles of the vagina can stretch and weaken. The loss of muscle tone and support of the muscles can decrease sensation during sex. When the size and volume of the vagina increases due to the loss of muscle tone, decreased sensitivity in the area can occur. This in turn will make intercourse less satisfying. By tightening the muscles, the vagina can be brought back to a youthful, pre-pregnancy state. With vaginoplasty, the tone of the muscles in the vagina can be restored causing an increase in pleasure and satisfaction. Vaginoplasty may improve a woman’s self-confidence and self-image. For women who have lost muscle tone in their vagina, vaginal rejuvenation can help them regain control of their vagina and their life.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How long does Labiaplasty with reduction of the excess prepuce take to perform? How long does the Vaginoplasty procedure take? Each of the procedures normally takes an hour to one and a half hours. The combined procedures take 2 to 3 hours.
- What is the goal of the labiaplasty procedure? The goal of labiaplasty is to improve the appearance of the labia and reduce their size. Women want a more youthful appearance of the labia minora, which includes reducing excess tissue and having a tight, non-droopy appearance. Patients want a clean and symmetric appearance.
- What is the goal of the Vaginoplasty procedure? The goal of the procedure is to tighten the muscles of the vagina to increase the tone and improve sensitivity. The goal is to enhance sexual pleasure and satisfaction.
- Can the tissue over and around the clitoris also be reduced with Labiaplasty? The excess tissue over and around the clitoris, also called the prepuce, can be reduced. This can not only improve the appearance, but will better expose the clitoris for enhanced sensation.
- What is the pain like after Labiaplasty with the reduction of the excess prepuce and with Vaginoplasty? The procedures are performed under general anesthesia where the patient does not feel any pain. Local anesthetic is injected at the time of surgery so that the patient wakes up with no or very little discomfort. Once the anesthetic wears off, there may be some discomfort for which pain medication is prescribed. These procedures do not usually cause a lot of pain. There is some discomfort but it is not unbearable. Most patients may take minimal pain medication for a few days then stop.
- When can I return to work? Most patients can return to work in seven days, depending upon the type of physical activity required by the job.
- When can I resume exercising? You will resume most everyday activities within a week or so but it will be approximately 6 weeks before you can start exercising.
- When can I resume sexual activity after surgery? You can resume sexual activity in six weeks if you have completely healed.
- What is the main complaint patients have after the surgery? Some patients complain of itching of the labia. This is a sign of healing and is not anything to be concerned with.
- What are the complications of the surgery? With any type of surgery, bleeding and infection are possible. However, they are not at all common. While women are concerned about decreased sensation, this usually does not happen. Discomfort with sex is possible but also is not at all typical. Poor healing is possible and in some cases may require a revision procedure, but again, it is not common.
- Will it hurt when I resume sex in six weeks? If you are fully healed, you should not have pain with sexual activity. With vaginoplasty, it is recommended that patients use a lubricant the first few times they have sex.
- Do you use sutures, staples, or glue, and when do these need to be removed? Dissolvable sutures are used exclusively. No staples or glue is used. The sutures will dissolve on their own and will fall out. If a suture remains after the incisions have healed and the suture causes irritation, it can be easily removed.
- Can the labia majora be treated at the time of labiaplasty or vaginoplasty? The labia majora may be too small or atrophied, or may be too prominent. The can be made fuller with fat grafting. They can also be made smaller with excision of excess tissue. This can be done at the same time as the other procedures.
- I am interested in having other plastic surgery procedures. Can these be done at the same time as vaginal rejuvenation? Yes, you can combine vaginal rejuvenation with other procedures including breast augmentation, abdominoplasty, liposuction, and facial rejuvenation. It is common for patients to combine procedures to minimize their “down time”.